The Helena College curriculum is designed first and foremost to promote the Vision Mission Values statement of the College.
The College’s curriculum provides:
- a strong academic foundation for all students.
- opportunities for students to challenge and extend themselves in many areas.
- innovation in both teaching and co-curricular programs.
- particular emphasis on acquiring sound skills in ICT.
- an enduring focus on values throughout the College.
- regular camps which consolidate and develop the curriculum.
Junior School Curriculum
- Indonesian language and culture is taught to all children from Pre-Primary to Year 6
- a music specialist works with every class from Pre-Primary to 6
- all children from Kindergarten to Year 6 visit the Library each week. Children are encouraged to borrow from a wide selection of fiction and information resources. Activities such as author visits and storytelling are included to enrich learning experiences
- Outside tutors are invited to present programmes that enhance fitness and skills development. Some of the areas covered during the year include Swimming, Tennis and Dance
- all children from Kindergarten to Year 6 take part in a computer skills programme in the school’s computer laboratory
- excursions are conducted regularly by all classes
- additional education assistants and teachers are employed to support the work of the classroom teacher
- all children are immersed in the PATHS programme and Protective Behaviours are emphasised
- an extensive Options Programme is offered to students from Pre-Primary to Year 6.
Details on the content of the Junior School curriculum can be obtained from the Principal.
Senior School Curriculum
The Helena College Senior School is an International Baccalaureate World School. The College offers the IB Middle Years Program for students in Years 7-10. Details of the IB programme can be found here.
In their final two years of school, students undertake a range of WACE courses at Stages 1, 2 and 3. The aim is to provide a rich learning environment, equipping our students not just for further study or entry to the workforce, but for their lives as active and committed citizens.
Course outlines for each course at the Helena College Senior School can be obtained by emailing the appropriate subject teacher or the Director of Studies.
The Year 11 and 12 Course Book (for students entering Year 11 in 2011) can be downloaded here.
The Year 9 and 10 Course information Book (for students entering Years 9 and 10 in 2011) can be downloaded here.
Other key features of the Senior School Curriculum include:
- The Senior School has a 1-to-1 Laptop Programme.
- All students complete components of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.