Helena College Darlington Campus has a long history as an independent primary school in Western Australia. Archival records indicate that it commenced in 1888 as Perth Jones’ Preparatory School for Boys and was conducted for a time in Bishop’s House, Mount Street Perth, under the Principalship of Mrs Load Jones.
After several site changes the school was re-located to McNeil Street, Cottesloe as Helena School until, during the war in 1941, the school was moved to Darlington. The name Helena was derived from the “Princess Helena College” in England which was attended by Jessica, one of Mrs Load Jones’ daughters. From 1942-1972 Helena School was run by Misses Jane Ashbury and Mary Jones as an Anglican boarding school.
In 1972, Sally Herzfeld and her husband Tom bought the school as a real ‘private’ school. When the Helena School Council formally took over the school’s governance in 1973 the school became a non- profit non-denominational day school. The Darlington site was bought from the Herzfelds.
As its first Principal, the Council appointed Mrs Allison (Sally) Herzfeld. Her successor in 1983 was Mr Brian Hassell. Mr David Harrison commenced as Principal in 1989 and Mrs Marie Barton was appointed in 2007. Our current Head of Junior School, Mr Greg Miller, was appointed for the start of 2011.
With strong parental support and encouragement, a secondary campus was established on the 8.3 hectare site in Bilgoman Road, Glen Forrest.
The first class of 27 Year 8 students commenced at the College in 1988. Mrs Sally Herzfeld was appointed Coordinator for two years. In 1990 Helena School, with its primary and secondary campuses, officially became Helena College Junior School and Helena College Senior School and Mr John Allen-Williams was appointed as Foundation Principal. After 20 years of dedicated service to the College Mr Allen-Williams retired in 2010 and Mr Ian Lyons was appointed Principal in Term Four of that year.
In 2012 the Senior School was authorised as an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme World School and in 2015 the Junior School became a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme.
In 2015 the two campuses were re-named as Helena College Darlington Campus and Glen Forrest Campus with Mr Ian Lyons being appointed Foundation Principal (K-12) and Mr Greg Miller continuing in his role as Head of Junior School (K-5).
Throughout its long history Helena College has always focused on student-centered learning and whole person development, with staff, students and parents Bringing out the best together (our College motto).