Why Helena College?
If you’re thinking about independent, non-religious, co-educational schooling for your child, now is the time to register and enrol for 2024 at Helena College.
In Years 4 and 5 at Helena, we develop confidence and prepare our students for the years ahead by giving them opportunities to achieve academically, socially and emotionally.
While we teach the WA Curriculum, we offer an inquiry-led, concept-based approach, combined with explicit teaching, to develop a child’s natural curiosity, build their resilience and ability to adapt in a rapidly changing world.
We aim to develop organisation skills and good study habits, as well as independence and self-management. Our camps and leadership programs are also where students consolidate friendships and build confidence in a safe environment.
We recognise that the transition to secondary school is one of the most significant events in a child’s life. Children have the greatest chance of success in negotiating the process if we prepare them academically, socially and emotionally. Our Year 4 and 5 program provides:
- Development of skills in organisation, study habits and self-management to prepare for more challenging school work in later years
- Development of leadership skills through our House Captains, Ministers and Aussie of the Month leadership programs
- Opportunities to develop and consolidate friendships in a small setting
- Develop familiarity with the environment and staff at the Glen Forrest Campus through sporting and other experiences.
- Academic assessment and evaluation of students if required
- Individual Learning and Enrichment Programs for students of all abilities who require extra individual or group support
Our students are confident communicators, creative problem solvers, and engaged, at school and in their communities.
Our Year 4 and 5 students are part of our Junior School, which is located on our Darlington Campus. Enrolling your child in Years 4 or 5 at Helena College guarantees entry to our Year 6 program, which is based at our Glen Forrest Campus. Year 6 is our biggest intake year, and is where we begin our Middle School program. Year 6s have their own dedicated area, including a nature play area, covered courtyard with multi-sport facilities, and follow the normal Year 6 curriculum. It is very much primary school-type setting, with the added benefit of having access to specialist facilities in areas such as media, cooking and art.